Easy Homemade Poster Paint Recipes
With these easy poster paint recipes you can make your own paint at home.
They require common and cheap household ingredients and very little time and effort.
These recipes are excellent for kids arts and crafts use - especially for toddlers, as only safe ingredients are used.
They are extremely easy to clean, are completely washable and do not stain clothing.
Click here for ideas for easy crafts for kids.
Top of Page
Plain Flour Poster Paint Recipes
It only takes about 5 minutes to cook and has a thick smooth texture.
It is easy to apply and easy to clean.
Note: it can crack and flake off if applied too thickly.
Extra Tip: Depending on the amount of paint you need - increase or decrease the quantities of this recipe.
What You Need:
- 1/2 cup plain flour
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon salt
- food colouring or tempera powder
- 1 tablespoon dishwashing liquid - optional
- small sealable containers
What To Do:
- Add flour and salt to saucepan and slowly add water, mixing with a whisk until all combined.
- Heat over a medium heat, stirring continuously with whisk to prevent lumps.
- Once poster paint has thickened and is smooth remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Once cooled, mix in the dishwashing liquid - optional. It will give the mixture a smoother consistency and a glossy finish when dry.
- Separate into small containers and colour with small amounts of either food colouring or tempera paint. If using tempera paint powder add a little water to combine.
- Once your kids have finished their activities for the day, store remainder in the refrigerator for a few days.
Variations to Plain Flour Recipe:
- For an opaque finish, add 1 tablespoon of liquid starch instead of dishwashing liquid
- For sparkly paint, add glitter to cooled paint